The dark web is home to many websites that offer counterfeit documents, such as passports, driver’s licenses, and other forms of identification. While it may seem like an easy way to create a fake identity, using these documents can have serious consequences.
But, why might someone try to use a counterfeit ID?
There are a number of reasons why someone might try to use a counterfeit identification (ID) document. Some possible reasons include:
- To obtain age-restricted goods or services: A person might use a fake ID to purchase alcohol, cigarettes, or to enter a bar or club if they are under the legal age.
- To gain employment: A person, even politicians, might use a fake ID or diploma to get a job if they do not have the necessary documents or qualifications.
- To travel: A person might use a fake passport or other identification document to enter a country without the proper documentation.
- To avoid detection or prosecution: A person might use a fake ID to avoid being detected by law enforcement or to avoid prosecution for a crime.
Using fake documents can put you in danger of being caught. While it may appear to be a good idea at the time, the documents may be of poor quality and easily detected by authorities. In one case we know of, a 44 year old man from France traveled internationally to Thailand, hoping to reinvent himself and disappear from creditors by using a fake passport and was apprehended after several years when he tried to take a train to Vietnam. In another case, a 32 year old woman in Canada obtained an office job in Toronto using a forged driver’s license and was later fired.
But what about spies? Why are they allowed to obtain and use counterfeit documents? Also known as intelligence officers or agents, may spies do use fake IDs in order to carry out their covert operations without being detected. They are sanctioned by the government, however, unlike the ‘normal’ citizen. Using a fake ID allows them to operate under a false identity and helps them to avoid detection by authorities or their targets.
There are a number of ways in which a spy might use a fake ID. For example:
- To enter restricted areas: A spy might use a fake ID to gain access to buildings, facilities, or events that are off-limits to the general public.
- To gather information: A spy might use a fake ID to obtain sensitive information or to gather intelligence from a target. For example, they might use a fake ID to get a job at a company and gather information about the company’s operations.
- To establish a cover identity: A spy might use a fake ID to establish a cover identity, which is a false identity that they use while operating in their capacity as a spy. This allows them to carry out their operations without being detected.
In conclusion, unless you are James Bond, while it may be tempting to use counterfeit documents on the dark web, the risks probably outweigh any potential benefits.